Displaying magnets and photos on the refrigerator helps makes our homes feel a bit more personal and like a catalog photo shoot. But too many incongruous elements on the refrigerator door can have a cluttered, messy, and less than pretty effect. So why not switch out those mismatched magnets for a set of playful, prismatic ones, and turn your refrigerator into an interactive art installation with these DIY prismatic magnets?
- Polygon magnet printable templates: Template #1 & Template #2
- Vinyl-faced (paintable) magnetic sheet, 12″ x 24″
- Satin or high-gloss acrylic paint in a 6 or 7 colors
- Self-healing cutting mat
- 1″ paint brush
- Metal ruler
- Artist’s knife
- Permanent marker
1. Cut out the polygon shapes from both the templates.
2. Use the paper templates as a guide to trace the polygon shapes onto the white side of the magnet sheet with a permanent marker. I traced 4 small diamonds, 2 small hexagons, and one each of the large hexagon, large elongated polygon, and small elongated polygon. Feel free to trace extra polygons for additional design options.
3. Paint polygon shapes with acrylic paint in various colors, and allow to dry completely. Satin or high gloss acrylic paint is best, as it’s easier to wipe down in a kitchen environment.
Don’t worry about painting inside the lines, as you’ll cut them out next.
4. Carefully, cut out all polygon shapes with an artist’s knife and metal ruler.
5. Arrange the magnets on your refrigerator, overlapping and connecting them to create a fun design.
6. Add in cards and photos if you please or leave the magnets as stand alone refrigerator art!
Incoming search terms:
- faceted acrylic diamond shaped refrigerator magnets